Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Twist with the IPL

I am Bengali boy…born and brought up in Kolkata. Though I am staying in Bangalore since a year because of my Job but when it came down to supporting which IPL team… I rooted for Kolkata Knight Riders for obvious reasons. And luck was that the first match was between Kolkata v/s Bangalore in Bangalore. And I was desperate to go to see the match knowing it's the only game of KKR in the city. Online booking got finished in a flash… as most people booked their ticket to see SRK only… damn with the cricket J

One day I bunked my office after Lunch and went to the stadium for tickets but with no avail and that too after standing for 2 hours in the queue. I was told some Future group outlets were selling match tickets. I literally travelled the length and breadth of the city…going from one outlet to other. At the end @ 8 o'clk I got a single ticket from Pantaloons… I was damned happy…even it exceeds all my happiness I generally get when I fixed all my bugs J …but I had to go back to office after that to resume my work…and work till midnight.

The D-Day finally came…18th April. I found that in my office people had already started slipping out after Lunch…even my manager went missing J .To my relief I also found that office has arranged for a cab to the stadium. On reaching the stadium, I found there was crowd all over and excitement was on the air. On entering the stadium, I placed myself comfortably so that I can have a proper view of the match… it was the Mid-wicket/Sweeper region where I was seated. And to my delight the next seat was occupied by a lovely lady. But alas nor she did watch the match neither had she noticed me…all through the match she was looking to the VIP pavilion to catch the glimpses of SRK.

The atmosphere was electrified and the mood was like I am in for a rock concert and the cricket was supplementary. The opening ceremony was breath-taking, to say the least, with gymnastics and fireworks. Watching the likes of Pointing, Buchanan, Boucher and Kallis from so close was a dream comes true for me. They were all doing their drills in front of our stand just before the match. Then what followed was even more imperial…yes I am talking about the "McCullum Storm" which swept all of us. To describe such an innings, I think any superlative adjectives would be an under-statement. Man it was raining in Sixes. And then I saw the SRK…and other stars like Rampal, KJo, Juhi & Gauri…I thoroughly enjoyed the match although it was a loop-sided affair but who cares when your team wins overwhelmingly. I had a terrific evening that day, a perfect Friday evening.

IPL is now a history and I am happy to be the part of that piece of History. Although Kolkata Knight Riders were unable to get into the semis, that too because of bad luck and rain…so what. As long as the term "Kolkata" is there I will be supporting and cheering my team. "Asshche Bojor Abar Hobe"…Jio Dada…Jio SRK.

No comments:

Post a Comment